Rewards and benefits
We review our trainee salaries every year in September. First year trainee salaries as of September 2021 are £40,000.
Financial assistance & the SQE
From autumn 2021, the route to qualification as a solicitor is changing. The GDL and LPC will cease to exist in the current format and will be replaced by two centralised assessments, the SQE 1 and the SQE 2. You will need to pass these exams, gain two years of qualifying work experience (such as a training contract) and satisfy a character and suitable test in order to qualify as a solicitor.
Once you have accepted a training contract with us, we’ll support you financially too and will pay course and examination fees, as well as a maintenance grant of £8000 for each year of full time study to help with living costs.
The benefits for trainee solicitors at Bird & Bird include:
- Pension – 5% employer contribution
- BUPA – Single membership cover
- Life assurance – 4 x salary
- 25 days annual leave
- Private Health Insurance (PHI)
- 1 day paid volunteering each year
- We also have a range of discounts on gym memberships, season ticket loan and the cycle to work scheme in addition to a wide range of other health & wellbeing benefits!